Skillsoft, the global leader in corporate learning, today unveiled Percipio Experience Services (PES), a new Content-as-a-Service offering. PES offers a rich set of APIs that enable micro-learning and multi-modal learning within any learning platform. PES also offers rich content discovery services including superior metadata and search; it enables curation from the smallest unit such as a video or a large unit such as a channel containing several related courses. Furthermore, PES enables xAPI-based activity tracking appropriate for both micro and macro learning.
Organizations benefit by integrating an engaging modern learning experience and rich usage data for measuring ROI into their learning ecosystems or business tools, including learning management systems (LMS), Learning Experience Platforms (LEP), enterprise portals, social platforms and collaboration tools.
The delivery of eLearning over the last 20 years has been course-centric, with a large dependence on SCORM and AICC to facilitate the interoperability between content and LMSs. These technical standards do not naturally support the range of content experiences expected by the modern learner. As demand for multi-modal learning and micro-learning in every platform have significantly grown, legacy standards are no longer suitable for supporting the new trends.
“Although Skillsoft’s OLSA (Open Learning Services Architecture) pioneered content integration, it is based on dated standards like SCORM and AICC. PES is Skillsoft’s strategic, go-forward approach to address the limitations of the SCORM and AICC technical standards and to ensure the best possible experience for everyone involved, including IT developers, administrators and learners,” said Apratim Purakayastha, Chief Technology Officer, Skillsoft. “With PES, organizations can extend and optimize their existing technology investments and deliver an on-demand, modern and sophisticated learning experience to employees. Additionally, learning administrators gain the ability to collect and deliver rich user activity data using xAPI, enabling downstream rich analysis to closely track and measure the business impact of learning. For compatibility and change management, PES will support SCORM and AICC standards as well.”
PES provides access to content, curation and elements of the user experience in the Percipio platform. PES gives organizations the choice of which elements of the content and the Percipio experience to use, how they can be used and where in their learners’ experience these elements appear, while collecting all the learner activity data with the ability to deliver it wherever and however it’s needed. PES provides further flexibility via content and videos that can be embedded on a corporate portal, Percipio Search that can be embedded in a corporate intranet and channel curation from a wide range of sources that can be linked from a CRM.
“A modern learning experience provides organizations with a beautiful, user-friendly interface and a wide variety of integrated tools to deliver a custom experience to the learner” said Cushing Anderson, Program Vice President, Business Consulting and IT Education, IDC. “Percipio Experience Services can power forward-thinking, agile learning programs and deliver the self-directed, on-demand, elegant learning experience employees and organizations want. With this Content-as-a-Service offering, organizations can provide a best-in-class learning program and user experience without overhauling their current learning technology.”
Bringing the next generation of corporate learning to life, PES is revolutionizing content services and learning ecosystem development by creating integrations that enable:
- Anywhere, anytime learning: PES provides an immersive learning experience irrespective if you are accessing from an LMS, LEP or an HRIS system. Users have one-click access to a massive library of courseware, videos, books, audiobooks and book summaries available anywhere, at any time and on any device learners desire.
- Learning in the flow of work: Comprehensive discovery tools including personalized content recommendations; full mobile-ready access for learning on-the-go is enabled; in PES API access is enabled from browser plugins or any application.
- Modern, standards-based integration services: The use of xAPI and cutting-edge technology delivers a broad range of deep technical integration capabilities suited for any learning ecosystem. Usage of PES xAPI capabilities enable any LMS or LEP to demonstrate business value or measuring ROI at a fine grain.
- Sophisticated and streamlined content curation: Aggregate and curate rich, multi-modal content with 500+ pre-curated channels and the ability to create custom channels to guide self-directed learners. Reduces curation burden on the administrator. However, detailed curation is also possible in linking every video asset in a curriculum or learning path in an LMS or LEP.
- Content lifecycle management: Administrator maintenance reduced as PES automatically updates content as it changes and notifies systems of pending retirements and replacement content.
SumTotal Systems, a Skillsoft company, is the first full Talent Suite vendor to implement PES and SumTotal customers now have access to channel curation, multiple modalities, courses, videos and books delivered through a beautiful Netflix™ style, consumer-led design to provide an exceptional learning experience.
Learn more about Percipio Experience Services or read a white paper on PES: Learning Technology for Today and Tomorrow.