Boredom can kill a learner’s interest and motivation, required to carry on learning. And a dull learning process leads to inefficient learning. In today’s digital world, game-based learning is impactful in a way that it optimizes learner engagement and knowledge retention. It is becoming one of the primary training tools in today’s digital environment. Using the feature of gamification, Game-based learning motivates and engages the learner in learning in a risk-free environment.
Game-based learning is an innovative learning approach that transforms the education curriculum into a gameplay, that further helps in the evaluation and assessment of the learners. Game based-learning incorporates games into a learning process to develop a particular skill or knowledge in a fun and engaging manner. It also helps the learners in retaining learning insights, simplifying difficult concepts and in other different ways.
WHY ADOPT GAME-BASED LEARNING?
- Enhanced engagement- The more the learners are engaged with training, the better they learn and perform. Game-based learning increases the level of engagement and the purpose of corporate training is fulfilled. E-learning games help to bridge the gap between the learners’ skills and different challenges. Besides, the element of earning rewards and badges acts as milestones to engage and motivate learners.
- Develops non-cognitive skills- In traditional classroom settings, not much attention is paid to build non-cognitive skills like patience, self-control, perseverance. However, apart from regular education non-cognitive skills are equally important in a learner’s life. Game-based learning develops these skills through different elements and strategies. It builds patience and perseverance, and sustains the learner’s focus and attention in a fun and engaging way.
- Impart a safe environment- The biggest problem associated with workplace training is the risk of making mistakes while learning. Games-based learning on the other hand provides a risk-free environment to the learners. The element of gamification takes away the stress, and creates a positive learning environment for the learners. It leads to increased level of engagement and knowledge retention in the learners.
- Boosts motivation and self-learning- The intensive-based process of game-based learning keeps the learner engaged and motivated. The reward system and the leaderboard element can also be used to boost motivation and self-learning in the learner. In e-learning games, learners get to progress instantly as they learn, understand and apply certain concepts. In this way learners get motivated to learn more and more.
- Expands memory capacity and sustains focus- Learners often face problems with their ability of retaining and sustaining focus. Building memory skills has crossover benefits in many areas of life. Many educational video games help in expanding memorizing capacity of the learner. E-learning games ease the burden of learning, and help the learners to sustain their focus and attention.
- Problem solving skills and strategic thinking- Most educational games require learners to utilize their logic and skills to complete tasks or levels. It helps learners in developing their logic, accuracy and ability to think outside of the box. Moreover, it creates problem solving skills and strategic thinking ability in the learners.
- Technological fluency- We live in a world where technology plays a major role in nearly every aspect of our lives. Getting learners accustomed to it through game-based learning is a practical and beneficial approach. Getting learners acclaimed to technology through e-learning games will help them become more self-reliant. Learning and technology if combined will benefit learners in the field of education.
- Helps in simplifying complex concepts- Abstract concepts can be difficult to teach. Game-based learning can be used to give a tangible shape to such concepts. Using simulation diagrams can change the perspective of the concept and can make it easier to learn, understand and apply. 3D hologpraphs can also be used for a detailed and immersive exploration of the concept.
The overall impact of game-based learning contributes in developing many skills and abilities in a learner. It creates an immersive environment and learning experience in a fun and engaging manner. The blend of these benefits boosts the overall skills and performance of the workforce, which leads to business productivity.
To know more about how game-based learning can benefit your organisation, visit Syndicatelearning.com